Since 1972, the Soroptimist Live Your Dream Awards program (formerly the Women’s Opportunity Awards) has disbursed more than $25 million to tens of thousands of women who have overcome poverty, domestic and sexual violence, divorce, the death of a spouse, or other life challenges. They are women—just like you—who had the courage and determination to turn their lives around.
Recipients may use the cash award to offset any costs associated with their efforts to attain higher education, including books, childcare and transportation. The program begins on the club level, where award amounts vary. Club recipients become eligible to receive region-level awards, which are granted through Soroptimist’s 28 geographic regions. Currently, each Soroptimist region grants one first-place award for $5,000.
Terriea, the 2015-2016 winner presented her story at the 44th Biennial Convention. She shares her story here.
Eligible applicants must be women who:
Provide the primary financial support for yourself and your dependents. Dependents can include children, spouse, partner, siblings and/or parents.
- Have financial need.
- Are enrolled in or have been accepted to a vocational/skills training program or an undergraduate degree program.
- Are motivated to achieve your education and career goals.
- Reside in one of Soroptimist International of the Americas’ member countries/territories (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guam, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Taiwan, United States of America, Venezuela).
- Have not previously been the recipient of a Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity or Live Your Dream Award.
- Do not have a graduate degree.
Are not a Soroptimist member, an employee of Soroptimist International of the Americas or immediate family of either.
Soroptimist International of Tahoe Sierra provides a $2,000 award on an annual basis. Our club’s winning application is then forwarded to the Sierra Nevada Region level for further competition.
If you or someone you know qualifies for this award….apply! (Please note that you must submit the LYD Application and 2 References to SITS November 15)
LYD Application Reference Form (Two separate references are required)
Completed application forms and two references are due to Awards Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can mail your forms to:
Soroptimist International of Tahoe Sierra
Attn: Lydia Rogers, Awards Chair
PO Box 18727, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96151
Completed applications are due November 15.
Click here to see a video about this opportunity.
Congratulations to our previous recipients!
2011 – Lisa Shafer
2012 – Kimberly Nesbitt
2013 – Marisol Jimenez Torres
2014 – Monica Mata
2015 – Latosha Sanchez and Keyla Trejo
2016 – Jordawn Amthauer and Tatiana Esposito.
2017- Charlene Jones and Vanessa Ruiz